Friday, April 3, 2009

an inexpensive little decorating project

Sometimes I get an urge to add something new to my home, but I don't want to add something new to my budget. So that's when a girl's gotta get crafty with what she's already got.

A few years ago, I made these pillows for my bed. The shams are made from a distressed, linen/cotton toile that was so lovely I saved every scrap. And good thing. Because in my recent urge to get crafty, I pulled out the scraps and made these:

I took two dated floral prints that used to hang in our guest room and removed their contents. Then, I simply wrapped the cardboard backing with a bit of the toile fabric and taped it in place.

One of my favorite verses has always been 1 Corinthians 13:13 ~ "...and now these three abide: faith, hope and love, but the greatest of the these is love." So, I printed out the words "love abides" on khaki linen-textured cardstock, attached it to the fabric with double-sided scrapbook tape, and voila! A meaningful little message for the top of the barrister's bookcases in my bedroom. And all for not a penny.


The font, by the way, is Bleeding Cowboy. (I know, so dramatic). I downloaded it for FREE from Scapvillage, the site that has the BEST FONTS EVER.

Got any inexpensive decorating tricks up your sleeve these days?? If so, please share!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Darling idea! Thanks for sharing! (Love that TOILE!)

Our Funny Farm said...

I am so impressed! This just proves you are my Martha Stewart and all of my boys' nursery window treatments and table skirt prove it too. :)